James Beard nominated Best Chef of California
Brandt Beef Baseball Cut Sous Vide
Brandt Beef Recipe Collection
- 4 Brandt Beef Baseball Cut Sirloins, 8 oz.
- ½ cup whole unsalted butter
- 2 Cloves of garlic (peeled, chopped)
- ½ Shallot (peeled, chopped)
- 5 Sprigs of Thyme (leaves picked, chopped)
- 1 Small spring of rosemary (leaves picked, chopped)
- ¼ tsp Maldon Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp Fresh ground black pepper
- PolyScience Circulator
- 11" NanoBond Hestan Saute pan
- Cryovac machine or food saver machine
- Sheet tray with a rack
- Set up water circulator at 130F.
- Combine all steak butter ingredients in a bowl. Microwave for 30-40 seconds to bring to room temperature. Reserve at room temperature.
- With butcher twine gently tie the steak to help keep the steaks shape.
- Rub the steak heavily with the steak butter or place a tablespoon of steak butter on each steak.
- Place each steak into its own separate sous vide bag.
- Cryovac under full pressure vacuum.
- Submerge the bag into the water and cook for 40 minutes.
- Take out of bag, cut the string off and drain on a sheet tray with rack.
- Pat dry.
- Season all sides with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Over high heat melt unsalted butter while whisking in a pan until its brown and nutty.
- Place steaks in the pan.
- Sear for about 45 seconds on all sides while spooning the brown butter over the top of the steak. Baste many times while the bottom side is searing.
- Rest on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve.