James Beard nominated Best Chef of California
Brandt Beef Chimichurri Sauce
A nice contrast to the richness and simplicity of grilled beef
Brandt Beef Recipe Collection
- 1⁄4, (10g) Jalapeno (deseeded, chopped)
- 1⁄4, (30g) White onion (chopped)
- 1,. (5g) Garlic clove (chopped)
- 1 1⁄4 tspn. (4g) Kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tspn. (1g) Red Chili flake
- 1 bunch (40g) Cilantro (clean, picked, chopped)
- 1 bunch (40g) Parsley (clean, picked, chopped)
- 1 bunch (10g) Oregano (clean, picked, chopped)
- 1 tbsp. (15g) Red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup (100g) Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Mortar and Pestle
- Combine jalapeno, onion, garlic, salt and chili flake in mortar and grind until broken down and relatively small.
- Add cilantro, parsley and oregano.
- Grind and add small amounts of oil and vinegar. Just enough to help grind it evenly.
- When it is evenly coarsely ground, you may add the rest of the olive oil and vinegar.
- Mix well.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Enjoy by spooning over sliced grilled steak or as a dip. Good to have as leftovers with eggs!
Smashing herbs in a mortar and pestle brings out the aroma in a more prominent way than by chopping.
Depending on the size of your mortar, you may need to work in two small batches. Adding about half of the ingredients, processing and then doing it again with the rest of ingredients.