James Beard nominated Best Chef of California
Brandt Beef Hot Dog
Wrapped in Steamed Sesame Bun
Brandt Beef Recipe Collection
- 4 Brandt Beef Hot Dog
- 12g (3 1⁄2 tsp.) Instant dry yeast
- 240g (1 cup, 1 tbsp.) Water (105f)
- 8g (1 tsp.) Distilled vinegar
- 10g (1 1⁄2 tsp.) Toasted sesame oil
- 10g (1 1⁄2 tsp.) Beef fat
- 480g (3 cups) Five Roses all purpose bleached flour
- 160g (1 cup) Potato starch
- 160g (1 cup) Powdered sugar
- 16g (1 tbsp.) Baking powder
- 16g (1 tbsp.) Cold water
- 30g (1 tbsp.) Crushed sesame seeds
- Bamboo steamer
- Steamer paper non stick
- Kitchen aid mixer
- Dissolve yeast in the water into the kitchen aid mixing bowl.
- Mix all the dry and pass through a sieve.
- Add dry to wet.
- Add distilled vinegar, sesame oil and beef fat.
- Knead with a dough hook for 10 minutes on speed 1.
- Transfer dough to a bowl and wrap tightly with plastic wrap and allow to proof for ≈45 minutes or until double in size.
- Transfer dough back to mixer.
- Mix baking powder and cold water to make a slurry.
- Pour into mixer and mix on low speed for 10 more minutes on speed 1.
- Transfer dough to the bench and keep covered while rolling and shaping the dough.
- Rest for ≈10 minutes and roll right away.
- Sprinkle some flour on your board and cut the dough into thirds.
- Start to roll your dough flat and long. NOT WIDE.
- Roll it evenly until the length of your dough is approximately 2ft. long.
- Cut approximately 4ea. 1⁄2"-3⁄4" wide strips.
- Roll the dough around the hot dog.
- Proof somewhere warm for ≈45 minutes in the bamboo (wrapped in plastic wrap to create a humid consistent temperature environment).
- Steam over boiling water in bamboo for 6 minutes. Sprinkle crushed sesame seeds over the top.
- Let rest for 4 minutes before enjoying.
- Serve with your favorite sauces and condiments or with our Plum BBQ sauce.