James Beard nominated Best Chef of California
With charred Scallion-Demi sauce
Brandt Beef Recipe Collection
- 3 (8oz.) Brandt Beef Prime Filet Mignon
- 3 (5g) pieces Ginger – peeled, sliced
- 3 (5g) pieces Scallion
- 3 Garlic cloves – peeled, crushed
- 15g Vegetable oil
- Kosher salt
- Black peppercorn freshly milled
- PolyScience Circulator
- 11" ProBond Hestan Saute pan
- Cryovac machine or food saver machine
- Set up a water circulator at 135˚F.
- Rub the filets with vegetable oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place each filet into a food safe cryovac bag with a piece of ginger, scallion and garlic on top of each.
- Vacuum air from the bag and seal.
- Submerge the bag into the water and cook for 30 minutes.
- Drain the filet from the bag.
- Reserve ginger, garlic and scallion.
- Pat the filet dry with a paper towel.
- Heat saute pan with vegetable oil until smoking hot.
- Place the filets in the pan, keeping them as far apart as possible.
- Add garlic, ginger and scallion from the bag to the pan.
- Sear for 1 minute.
- Flip the filet and sear for 1 minute.
- Remove filet and proceed to make the Charred scallion demi sauce. OR add the finished charred scallion demi sauce to the pan.
- Place the filet back in the pan and quickly spoon the sauce over the beef a few times to fully glaze.
- Slice the steak or serve it whole.