James Beard nominated Best Chef of California
Brandt Beef Bacon Cornbread
Brandt Beef Recipe Collection
- 160g (1 cup) Cornmeal, coarse (polenta)
- 420g (2 cup) Buttermilk
- 225g (8oz) (10 slices) Brandt Beef Bacon
- 250g (1 ¾ cup) All purpose flour
- 12g (1 ½ tbsp.) Baking powder
- 0.5g (¼ tsp.) Baking soda
- 3g (1 tsp.) Kosher salt
- 50g (¼ cup) sugar
- 50g (¼ cup) brown sugar
- 3 whole eggs (whisked)
- 45g (3 tbsp.) Honey
- 45g (3 tbsp.) Butter
- 2 ½ cups corn kernels (drained can corn)
- 30g (2 tbsp.) Brandt Beef Bacon fat drippings
• 10”x12” or 9”x13” or 12” square pan
The night before, soak the buttermilk and polenta at room temperature in a sealed container.
- Cook the bacon at 400˚F on a sheet try lined with foil for 15-20 min. until the bacon is crispy.
- Strain fat and save for the recipe.
- When the bacon is cool, cut or crumble into coarse pieces.
- Lower oven to 350˚F.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Stir in granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl lightly whisk eggs.
- Melt butter with honey in the microwave.
- Drizzle warm butter and honey into the eggs, then add this to the buttermilk/polenta mixture.
- Combine the wet mixture with the dry mixture.
- Stir with whisk until completely smooth OR using a kitchen aid with a whisk attachment-should be the consistency of pancake batter.
- Stir in corn kernels until they are completely distributed.
- Place 2 tbls. warm bacon fat in a 10"x12" or 9"x13" or 12" square pan.
- Place the pan in the oven for 7 minutes to get the pan and grease very hot.
- Remove pan, swirl the grease around the pan ensuring all areas are greased.
- Add the batter spreading it from the center to the edges.
- Sprinkle the crumbled bacon pieces on top and gently press them into the batter.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until the corn bread is firm and springy. Insert the knife into the center and if it comes out clean it is done. The top will be medium golden brown. The internal temperature should register 185˚F.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes. Slice. Serve warm.