James Beard nominated Best Chef of California
Brandt Beef Teriyaki Meatballs
With fried garlic rice
Brandt Beef Recipe Collection
- 454g (1#) Brandt Beef Ground Meat
- 24g (3 tbsp.) Yellow onion
- finely chopped
- 12g (3 tsp.) Ginger – finely chopped
- 6g (1 tsp.) (2ea. Cloves) Garlic - finely chopped
- 6g (2 tsp.) Kosher salt
- 20g (½ slice) White bread
- 1 Whole egg - lightly whisked
- 2g (½ tsp.) Baking soda
- 10g (1 ½ tsp.) Soy sauce
- 10g (1 ½ tsp.) Sesame oil
Fried Garlic Jasmine Rice
- 180g (1 cup) Jasmine rice
- 15g (1 tbsp.) Vegetable oil, Rice oil, Canola oil
- 3g (1 tsp.) Kosher Salt
- 330g (1 ½ cup) Water
- 20g (2 tbsp.) (5 cloves) Sliced garlic
- Fresh scallion – sliced thinly
- Roasted sesame seeds – pre-roasted
- 125g (½ cup) Soy sauce
- 125g (½ cup) Water
- 125g (½ cup) Sake
- 125g (½ cup) Mirin
- 50g (¼ cup) Sugar
- 15g (1 ½ tbsp.) Corn starch
- 15g (1 ½ tbsp.) Water
- Combine ground meat, onion, ginger, garlic and salt in one bowl.
- In the other combine bread, egg, baking soda, sesame oil and soy sauce. Allow to saturate for 5 minutes.
- Mix meat with bread mixture by hand until fully homogeneous.
- Roll the meatballs in your hand about 1 tablespoon in size.
- Place onto a sheet tray lined with foil. Spray with non stick spray.
- Leave about 1" of space in between each meatball.
- Bake at 350F for 15 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and let cool to room temperature.
- Quickly dip each meatball in water and wipe off excess protein that has come out of the meatball.
- Place meatballs in a pot with enough glaze to come about ¼ the way up the meatballs.
- Sprinkle meatballs with a generous amount of sesame seeds.
- Bring to a boil and stir meatballs around the pot to glaze and heat them evenly.
Fried Garlic Technique
- In a small pot toast rice in oil and salt over medium/high heat. Move it around frequently to toast rice evenly.
- After about 2 minutes, add water.
- Stir rice and bring to a simmer.
- Place the lid and put in the oven at 350˚F for 18 minutes.
- Remove pot from the oven and open the lid for a few seconds to release the steam.
- Close the lid and allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
- Scrape rice out of the pot onto a tray and spread it out to allow rice to cool and release its steam. (note: you will do the next steps twice with half the amount of rice and garlic. The batch is too big to do it at once)
- In a medium non stick pan over medium/high heat add a little bit of oil, enough to swirl around and barely coat the bottom of the pan.
- Add the garlic and fry gently until golden brown.
- Add rice and stir around to incorporate the garlic to the rice and toast the rice gently and evenly.
- Place the rice in a bowl to reserve it and continue with the rest of rice and garlic.
Teriyaki Sauce Technique
- Combine soy sauce, sake, mirin, water and sugar in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Combine 15g water and 15g cornstarch to make a slurry.
- While sauce is boiling drizzle in a cornstarch slurry.
- Let it boil again and then pull off heat.
- Reserve to glaze meatballs.
- Place garlic fried rice on the bottom of the bowl.
- Spoon meatballs with the sauce over the top.
- Garnish the meatballs and rice with sliced raw scallion.
You may also like
Brandt Beef Classic Rib Roast
Oven Roasted and Wood Fired
Brandt Beef Chimichurri Sauce
A nice contrast to the richness and simplicity of grilled beef