James Beard nominated Best Chef of California
Brandt Beef Ribeye Roast Sandwich
Brandt Beef Recipe Collection
- Ribeye roast
- Sandwich rolls
Ribeye Roast Ingredients
- 4-5# ribeye roast, boneless, netted
- Kosher salt
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Mustard (French’s yellow)
- Black pepper (butcher coarse)
Sandwich Roll Ingredients
- 75g (½ cup + 1tbsp.) Bread flour
- 75g (⅓ cup) Water (boiling)
- 350g (1 ½ cup) Whole milk (warmmicrowave)
- 5g (1 tsp.) Instant dry yeast
- 30g (1 tbsp.) Sugar
- 425g (3 ½ cups) bread flou
- 9g (2 tsp.) salt
- 30g (1 tbsp.) butter
- Egg wash
- 1 whole egg
- 10g (1 tsp.) whole milk
- .5g (¼ tsp.) kosher salt
- Roasted sesame seeds
This recipe is created to be a foundation for one’s preference of toppings, sauces, and garnishes for a steak sandwich.
- Sauces and spreads: BBQ, horseradish mayo, sriracha mayo, garlic aioli
- Cheese: cheddar, brie, pepperjack
- Garnishes: red onion, lettuce, tomato, caramelized onions, jalapenos, etc.
Ribeye Roast Technique
- Take the roast from the package and rinse under cold water briefly. Pat dry.
- Place on a rack and allow to air dry for 3 hours before cooking.
- Pre-heat oven at 250˚F.
Note: The seasoning of the roast will take some time (approx. 20 min.) to do it evenly on all sides and is a very critical step of a good roast.
- Season all sides with kosher salt.
- Let the salt sit on the roast for 10 minutes.
- Note: You are building layers of flavor on the roast.
- Sprinkle all sides with onion powder and garlic powder.
- Gently rub all sides with yellow mustard.
- Sprinkle all sides with black pepper.
- Place a thermometer probe into the center part of the roast.
- Close the door and turn the oven down to 225˚F.
- Cook to an internal temperature of 120˚F (approx. 3 ½ hours).
- Rest at room temperature with foil over the top or 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare BBQ with a small amount of charcoal briquettes.
- Build your fire to one side of the BBQ creating a space for indirect cooking.
- When charcoal is lit, place Fruit wood or Oak wood pieces to maintain fire and create smoke.
- Allow fire to get to approx. 350˚F.
- At this point we are “searing” the roast to create a crispy and smoky crust.
- Place the rib over the area of the fire with no briquettes with the bones facing towards the fire.
- With the prob in the middle of the fattest part of the roast cook to an internal temperature of 130˚F.
- Rotate the roast a few times while cooking.
- Rest with foil over the top for 30 minutes before carving.
- Remove netting.
- Slice thinly for sandwich or thicker for a nice steak.
Sandwich Rolls Technique
- Pour boiling water over flour and stir with a wooden spoon until it is mixed well.
- Wrap in plastic and allow it to come to room temperature.
- Combine warm milk, yeast and sugar.
- Whisk gently to dissolve.
- Add the cooked flour and butter to the milk.
- Add flour.
- Mix on medium speed with a dough hook for approx. 3 minutes.
- Rest for 20 minutes.
- Add salt.
- Mix for 4 minutes on low-medium speed.
- Shape into a ball, place in a bowl, wrap with plastic wrap and allow to proof for 45 min. at about 75-80˚F.
- After 45 min. take the dough out, flatten it and shape it into a ball again.
- Wrap in plastic and allow it to proof for 45 min. at about 75-80˚F.
- Divide dough into 120g portions.
- Shape gently into balls.
- Allow to rest for 20 minutes wrapped in plastic.
- Gently stretch balls lengthwise into rectangles.
- From the side farthest from you start to roll the dough into itself towards your body.
- Once the dough reaches the other end, pinch it together to seal it.
- This is the bottom.
- Place in pan that has been sprayed with pan spray.
- Spray with pan spray.
- Wrap tightly with plastic and allow it to proof for 30-45 min. at about 75-80˚F.
- Brush with egg wash.
- Sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds
- Bake at 350˚F for 10 minutes.
- Rotate and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Rotate and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Rotate adn bake for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the tray and rest on a rack.
- Tear a bun apart.
- Cut the bun in half.
- Griddle with a little butter and garlic powder.
- Spread bun with mayonnaise.
- Slice ribeye roast thinly and grate cheddar cheese on top
- Dip sandwich in bbq sauce!
Note: Buns are good to keep for 3 days in a ziploc bag and recommend to microwave briefly or gently griddle.