James Beard nominated Best Chef of California
Brandt Beef Pot-au-feu
With egg noodles (good on a rainy day)
Brandt Beef Recipe Collection
- 3 (10oz). Brandt Beef Top Sirloin Steaks
- 3 (15g) Garlic clove (peeled, sliced)
- 3 tsp. (15g) Kosher salt
- 1 ½ tbsp. (20g) Soy sauce
- 13 cups (3L) water
- 2 ½ cup (125g) Button mushroom (rinsed, cut into ½’s)
- 3 (100g) Carrot (peeled, sliced ½-¾" thick)
- 2 (50g) Celery ribs (washed, sliced ½-¾" thick)
- 2 Bay leaves (fresh or dried torn in ½)
- 1 Yellow onion (cut into ⅓’s-rings, remove peel, char each slice over open flame until black on 1 side, then cut into rough ½" dice)
- ¼ hd. (150g) Cabbage (cut into ¼’s, peel off outer leaves, cut the core out, cut into rough 1" squares)
- 2 cups dried egg noodles
- Place beef in a pot and cover with water, bring to a boil.
- Immediately strain off into a colander.
- Rinse under cold water.
- Rinse pot of beef particles.
- Place beef back into the pot and combine with 3L of water, kosher salt, soy sauce and garlic.
- Bring to simmer, place lid, and cook for 1 hour with lid on.
- Remove lid and add mushroom, carrot, celery, bay leaf and onion.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add cabbage and cook for 30 minutes.
- Bring to boil, add egg noodles.
- Cook per recommendations of the egg noodle package. Typically 7 minutes.
- Serve, or chill and store.