James Beard nominated Best Chef of California
Brandt Beef Chili
Enjoy with tortilla chips, Brandt Beef cornbread, or on top of a Brandt Beef hot dog.
Brandt Beef Recipe Collection
- 454g (1#) Brandt Beef Ground Meat
- 6g (2 tsp.) Kosher salt
- 15g (1 tbsp.) Vegetable oil
- 5g (2 tsp.) Cumin seed, toasted 350F for 10min.
- 2.5g (1 ½ tsp.) Coriander seed, toasted 350F for 10min.
- 3g (1 ½ tsp.) Paprika
- 2.5g (1 tsp.) Chili powder
- .5g (½ tsp.) Oregano
- 115g (4oz) Beer - Bud Light
- 5g (1 tsp.) (1ea.) Serrano chili – finely chopped
- 65g (½ cup) (½ ea. pepper) Red bell pepper – fine dice
- 100g (¾ cup) (½ ea.) Yellow onion – fine dice
- 15g (4 tsp) (4 cloves) Garlic – finely chopped
- 2g (½ tsp) Chipotle pepper – canned – chopped
- 454g (16oz) Black beans – canned – strain, rinse
- 454g (16oz) Refried pinto beans – canned
- 230g (8oz.) Brandt Beef Demi Glace De Boeuf
- 60g (¼ cup) Water
- 15g (1tbsp.) Dark chocolate chunks
- 10g (2 tspn.) Soy sauce
- 5g (1tbsp.) Cilantro – chopped
- Juice of 1 ea. Lime
- ½ Red onion – julienne
- 2 cup Sour cream
- 4 Red radishes – julienne
- 3 cups Sharp cheddar cheese – grated on box grater
- 1 Lime – cut into wedges
- 1 bunch Cilantro – chopped
- Heat pan on high, add oil, then beef and salt.
- Cook the meat and break it up with a wooden spatula into smaller pieces until most of the moisture from meat has evaporated.
- Add spices (cumin, coriander, paprika, chili powder, and oregano).
- Cook to to toast the spices in the oil and evenly distribute amongst the meat.
- Note: the pan should be dry with residual fat and particles should be sticking to the pan.
- Add beer.
- Reduce to almost dry.
- Add the vegetables (serrano, red bell pepper, garlic, onion, chipotle).
- Cook the vegetables until they soften and release some water, almost to dry.
- Add beans (refried, black beans)
- Add water and Brandt Beef Demi Glace.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Place lid and gently simmer on Low for 30 minutes.
- Stir frequently.
- Add chocolate, soy sauce, lime juice and cilantro.
- Turn heat to lowest possible and let sit for 1 hour.
- Serve with garnishes. (radish, lime, cilantro, sour cream, cheddar cheese, red onion)
- Enjoy with Brandt Beef Bacon Cornbread!
- Enjoy with tortilla chips, Brandt Beef cornbread, or on top of a Brandt Beef hot dog.
- If you are not preparing to eat it with cornbread, you can add 454g (16oz.) Corn kernals - canned to recipe.
- If summer, use fresh corn and cut the kernals off.
- When time allows, you may soak 225g of beans overnight in water, then simmer in water until soft and add to chili.
- When time allows, you may soak 300g of pinto beans overnight in water, then simmer water until soft and mash to puree and add to chili.