James Beard nominated Best Chef of California
Brandt Beef Chili
Enjoy with tortilla chips, Brandt Beef cornbread, or on top of a Brandt Beef hot dog.
Brandt Beef Recipe Collection
- 454g (1#) Brandt Beef Ground Meat
- 6g (2 tsp.) Kosher salt
- 15g (1 tbsp.) Vegetable oil
- 5g (2 tsp.) Cumin seed, toasted 350F for 10min.
- 2.5g (1 ½ tsp.) Coriander seed, toasted 350F for 10min.
- 3g (1 ½ tsp.) Paprika
- 2.5g (1 tsp.) Chili powder
- .5g (½ tsp.) Oregano
- 115g (4oz) Beer - Bud Light
- 5g (1 tsp.) (1ea.) Serrano chili – finely chopped
- 65g (½ cup) (½ ea. pepper) Red bell pepper – fine dice
- 100g (¾ cup) (½ ea.) Yellow onion – fine dice
- 15g (4 tsp) (4 cloves) Garlic – finely chopped
- 2g (½ tsp) Chipotle pepper – canned – chopped
- 454g (16oz) Black beans – canned – strain, rinse
- 454g (16oz) Refried pinto beans – canned
- 230g (8oz.) Brandt Beef Demi Glace De Boeuf
- 60g (¼ cup) Water
- 15g (1tbsp.) Dark chocolate chunks
- 10g (2 tspn.) Soy sauce
- 5g (1tbsp.) Cilantro – chopped
- Juice of 1 ea. Lime
- ½ Red onion – julienne
- 2 cup Sour cream
- 4 Red radishes – julienne
- 3 cups Sharp cheddar cheese – grated on box grater
- 1 Lime – cut into wedges
- 1 bunch Cilantro – chopped
- Heat pan on high, add oil, then beef and salt.
- Cook the meat and break it up with a wooden spatula into smaller pieces until most of the moisture from meat has evaporated.
- Add spices (cumin, coriander, paprika, chili powder, and oregano).
- Cook to to toast the spices in the oil and evenly distribute amongst the meat.
- Note: the pan should be dry with residual fat and particles should be sticking to the pan.
- Add beer.
- Reduce to almost dry.
- Add the vegetables (serrano, red bell pepper, garlic, onion, chipotle).
- Cook the vegetables until they soften and release some water, almost to dry.
- Add beans (refried, black beans)
- Add water and Brandt Beef Demi Glace.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Place lid and gently simmer on Low for 30 minutes.
- Stir frequently.
- Add chocolate, soy sauce, lime juice and cilantro.
- Turn heat to lowest possible and let sit for 1 hour.
- Serve with garnishes. (radish, lime, cilantro, sour cream, cheddar cheese, red onion)
- Enjoy with Brandt Beef Bacon Cornbread!
- Enjoy with tortilla chips, Brandt Beef cornbread, or on top of a Brandt Beef hot dog.
- If you are not preparing to eat it with cornbread, you can add 454g (16oz.) Corn kernals - canned to recipe.
- If summer, use fresh corn and cut the kernals off.
- When time allows, you may soak 225g of beans overnight in water, then simmer in water until soft and add to chili.
- When time allows, you may soak 300g of pinto beans overnight in water, then simmer water until soft and mash to puree and add to chili.
You may also like
Good on burger or a side to a steak