James Beard nominated Best Chef of California
Brandt Beef Malted Hollandaise Sauce
Brandt Beef Recipe Collection
- 225g (1 cup) Malt vinegar
- 25g (1⁄4 cup) Red onion (sliced thinly)
- 3g (1 tsp.) Black peppercorn
- 80g (1⁄2 cup) Beer (Sierra Nevada)
- 1 bunch Chives (sliced finely)
- 125g (1⁄2 cup) Reduction
- 250g Egg yolk (1dz. Egg yolks)
- 250g (1 cup) Clarified butter (warm)
- 1⁄2 ea. lemon — juice (fresh squeezed)
- 6g (1 1⁄2 tsp.) Kosher Salt
- 6g (1 tsp.) Worcestershire sauce
- 6g (1 tsp.) Tamari
Reduction - Step 1
- Reduce malt vinegar, red onion, black peppercorn by roughly half to the weight of 125g (1⁄2 cup) (strained weight).
Hollandaise - Step 2
- In a mixing bowl over a pot with simmering water combine egg yolk and reduction.
- Whisk vigorously until the egg yolk has become fully cooked and thick.
- Remove from heat to drizzle in the clarified butter, creating a thick emulsification.
- Squeeze in lemon juice, salt, Worcestershire sauce and tamari.
- Pass the sauce through a fine strainer.
- Garnish the top of the sauce with chopped chives.
Note: Great to have with steak and onion rings/french fries.